The gerund looks precisely the same as a present participle, however it is valuable to comprehend the contrast between the two. The gerund dependably has an indistinguishable capacity from a thing (in spite of the fact that it would appear that a verb). A few employments of the gerund are secured on this page. A different page manages verbs that are trailed by the gerund.
THE GERUND AS THE SUBJECT OF THE SENTENCE
- Eating individuals isn’t right.
- Hunting tigers is unsafe.
- Flying makes me apprehensive.
- Brushing your teeth is imperative.
- Smoking causes lung tumor.
THE GERUND AS THE COMPLEMENT OF THE VERB ‘TO BE’
- One of his obligations is going to gatherings.
- The hardest thing about learning English understands the gerund.
- One of life’s delights is eating in bed.
THE GERUND AFTER PREPOSITIONS
The gerund must be utilized when a verb comes after a relational word. This is additionally valid for specific articulations finishing in a relational word, for instance the articulations notwithstanding and there’s no reason for.
- Can you wheeze without opening your mouth?
- She is great at painting.
- She maintained a strategic distance from him by strolling on the contrary side of the street.
- We touched base in Madrid in the wake of driving throughout the night.
- My father ruled against putting off his excursion to Hungary.
- There’s no reason for pausing.
- In dislike of missing the prepare, we landed on time.
THE GERUND AFTER PHRASAL VERBS
Phrasal verbs are made out of a verb + relational word or intensifier.
- When will you surrender smoking?
- She dependably puts off setting off to the dental practitioner.
- He continued requesting cash.
- Jim wound up purchasing another TV after his old one broke.
There are some phrasal verbs that incorporate “to” as a relational word for instance to anticipate, to take to, to be acquainted with, to get around to, and to be utilized to. Recognize that “to” is a relational word in these cases since it must be trailed by a gerund. It isn’t a piece of the infinitive type of the verb. You can check whether “to” is a relational word or part of the infinitive. In the event that you can put the pronoun “it” after “to” and frame a significant sentence, at that point “to” is a relational word and should be trailed by a gerund.
- I anticipate got notification from you soon.
- I anticipate it.
- I am accustomed to sitting tight for transports.
- I am utilized to it.
- She didn’t generally take to concentrate English.
- She didn’t generally take to it.
- When will you get around to cutting the grass?
- When will you get around to it?
GERUND IN COMPOUND NOUNS
In compound things utilizing the gerund, obviously the significance is that of a thing, not of a consistent verb. For instance, with “swimming pool” it is a pool for swimming in, it isn’t a pool that is swimming.
- I am giving Sally a driving les
- They have a swimming pool in their back yard.
- I got some new running shoes.
THE GERUND AFTER SOME EXPRESSIONS
The gerund is essential after the articulations can’t help, can’t remain, to be worth, and it’s no utilization.
- She couldn’t resist going gaga for him.
- I can’t stand being stuck in congested driving conditions.
- It’s no utilization attempting to get away.
- It may be worth calling the station to check the season of the prepare.
Gerund after the accompanying verbs
They abstain from going on vacation on Saturdays.
- carry on
In the event that we bear on resting so seriously, we may require help.
Ralph is thinking about purchasing another house.
I deferred disclosing to Max the news.
She denies perusing the book.
We hate perusing lyrics.
- can’t/couldn’t help
He couldn’t resist beginning to look all starry eyed at her.
I appreciate playing chess.
They got done with working in the garden.
- give up
Susan surrenders playing ice-hockey.
He envisioned driving another auto.
Your duty incorporates taking reservations on the telephone.
The venture will include developing plants.
I can’t legitimize paying $100 for this ticket.
- keep (on)
They continue running.
Did Alex ever specify playing baseball?
I wouldn’t fret mulling over the lounge chair.
They miss playing with their companions.
She working on playing hockey.
Do you lament having said it?
You chance coming down with a bug.
She recommended traveling to Cairo.
* After lament the to-infinitive is utilized while declaring awful news: We lament to advise you that the flight to Munich has been crossed out.
Gerund after expressions
- to be occupied
He is caught up with perusing the paper.
- feel like
We have a craving for having some tea.
- how about
What about strolling home as opposed to taking the auto?
- it’s (no) great
It’s awful conversing with this young lady.
- it’s no utilization
It’s no utilization conversing with the dean.