The world celebrates on 13 February the Radio Day with sharing their views and experiences about radio work. The legends said that Radio is for ear. And if we produce good programmes for ears then we successfully influence the listeners thought. And through Radio we spread peace, positivity, creativity and happiness.
Communication is the sharing or conveying information, ideas and/or feelings by using gestures, words or other symbols. Reading and listening are receptive forms of communication. Speaking and writing are expressive forms of communication. Language development and past experiences are factors that play a major role in the communication process.
To keep oneself aware from the surroundings and communicate with others promptly and speedily has always been the necessity of human beings. Various sources had been used in different period & time, to convey messages.
It is hard to believe that that prior to May 24, 1844, the word “transportation” & “communication” were for practical purposes synonyms; until that time information could be moved from one point to another only if it was carried – transported – by rail, horse, pigeon or foot.
Who knew that the invention of wireless communication system in 1895 by Marconi will lead to voice-casting (generally know as Radio Broadcasting) beginning in 1906. Marconi inspired by the inventions of Morse code (Telegraph-1944), Telephone (1876) by Graham Bell and demonstration by German scientist H.R Hertz that energy (sound converted in electrical pulses) can travel in air without the wire-link between two points.
Earlier (1890), another invention Gramophone (Phonograph), basically talking machines, attracted the attention of the scientist and general masses who proudly owned it.
All these inventions were presets for Radio broadcast, which is basically voice and sound broadcasting and technically called voice casting as sounds are used in Radio broadcasts only to heighten a situation and establish a local to deliver complete message. The telegraph and wireless, using coded sound signals (which are fixed codes for communication), are not radio broadcasting. Wireless system is technically a carrier of electromagnetic waves (Radioactive waves) i.e. on radioactive (electromagnetic) waves.
Even, Marconi did not think of Radio broadcasting—therefore we may call Marconi as the inventor of the equipment (Transmitter) but not the inventor of Radio broadcasting.
Stages of radio broadcasting:
- The First Stage: started from 1895 when Marconi successfully transmitted his message
- The Second Stage: started from 1906 when radio broadcasting was formally started from America. But in those days the messages were sent to far-flung areas by radio transmission. In 1910 radio assumed the role of mass communication.
- The Third Stage: radio attained the worldwide popularity in 1920. Duration of transmission kept on increasing; variety of programming pattern was introduced like news bulletins, music, discussion, talks on educational, religious etc.
- The Fourth Stage: America was the first country to initiate the commercial service. Commercial spots used to be broadcast; its quantum kept on increasing with innovative approaches. Human-interest stories were provided to the listeners. Eyewitness account on cricket matches and other major sports started during this stage.
- The Fifth Stage: was the turning point in the broadcasting history when three scientists jointly invented the transistor. It was a real revolution in radio broadcasting. The electricity-operated radio sets were quite expensive. With the invention of transistor technology radio industry progressed tremendously. In addition, battery operated transistorized mobile radio for cars & buses were introduced.
Aug 14‚1947 Pakistan came into being and the announcement of its creation is made by the new organization‚ the Pakistan Broadcasting Service which comes into existence at the same time and later designated as Radio Pakistan. Presently Radio Pakistan is broadcasting programmes in 23 languages. The most famous name in radio media who inspire me is my teacher respected Sir Agha Nasir and respected Sir Salman-ul-Muazzam, they both alive the power, charm, and importance of Radio Pakistan in the heart and mind of new generation very well. I hope radio play a secret and most remember able part in your life so write to us and share your views with us.